Does the type of work differ for disabled people?
The types of employment available to disabled people is also of concern in addition to whether or not disabled people are able to find work. Analysis of the Labour Force Survey, a nationally representative household survey in the UK, shows that disabled employees are concentrated in non-standard forms of employment, including part-time and self-employment. Whilst this may reflect marginalization of disabled employees within the labour market this research suggests non-standard employment also offers an important way of accommodating disability at work.
Source: LFS 2015
Source: LFS 2015
Articles within this theme:
Jones, M. (2007) Does part-time employment provide a way of accommodating a disability? The Manchester School, 75(6), p695-716. http://orca.cf.ac.uk/86656/1/Does%20part%20time%20employment%20provide%20a%20way%20of%20accommodating%20a%20disability%20M%20jones.pdf
Jones, M. and Latreille, P. (2011) Disability and self-employment: evidence from the UK LFS, Applied Economics, 43(27), p4161-4178. http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/work-and-pensions-committee/selfemployment-and-the-gig-economy/written/45263.html
Jones, M. and Wass, V. (2017) Written submission to Work and Pensions Select Committee on self-employment and the gig economy inquiry. Available at: http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/work-and-pensions-committee/selfemployment-and-the-gig-economy/written/45263.html
In this section
- A contribution to halving the disability employment gap
- A tale of two commitments
- Are disabled people’s employment rates improving?
- Does the type of work differ for disabled people?
- Disabled people and pay disadvantage
- Does the experience of work differ for disabled people?
- All in it together? The impact of the recession on disabled people
- How can unions support disabled employees?
- How widely adopted are disability equality policies and practices?
- The influence of the management and organisation of work on disabled people